Healthy Nail Ambulance: Nail bracesNews
12. 12. 2022 Podiatry
The principle of nail braces was adopted from dentistry and modified for the purpose of treating ingrown toenails. Foot specialists are focusing on this problem in the Czech Republic.
Through the application of pressure over a long period of time, gentle
forces affect the edges of the nail in order to gradually straighten it. The duration of the straightening process is directly proportional to numerous factors such as hereditary influences, the cause and extent of damage, the health of the nail and surrounding tissue, type of footwear, physical activities, cooperation and discipline.
In addition to nail braces, podiatric care at our new facility includes exercises for flat feet and proper foot positioning, and recommendation of appropriate orthopaedic shoe inserts to prevent further damage to the nail.
- The brace is fitted to the nail by a podiatrist using either glassceramic
tape or wire. The objective is to lift the edges of the nail in order to adjust the lateral mound and then lift the nail plate to the required height.
- After each visit, the brace is sealed with a special gel, which protects it against possible movement. However, we recommend that the nail with the brace be taped up with an adhesive bandage when wearing shoes.
- If necessary, we insert a tamponade under the nail.
- The first visit includes a consultation, examination, clearing of the affected area, treatment and fitting of the nail brace. The patient is informed about the ongoing treatment.
- It is then necessary to plan subsequent visits, ideally after 4–6 weeks, for check-ups and replacement of the brace.
- The average therapeutic period is approximately 8–10 months; however, the exact period differs from case to case.
Nail straightening is permanent following removal of the
straightening device, provided that the nail is no longer cut
incorrectly, the edges of the nail are not cut, the nail does not incur
any mechanical damage and the nail is not affected by pressure from
footwear and other microtraumas.
HEALTHY NAIL AMBULANCE
Canadian Medical AFI