Dr. Amanda Preston, PhD.
Specialisation – Pre-adolescent, adolescent and adult mental health. Psychological assistance for individuals, couples, families and groups (business).
Brief description of specialisation
- Assessment and therapy for full range of mental health problems in pre-adolescents, adolescents and adults. Therapeutic intervention depends on the nature of the main problem; includes the use of Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) as well as integrative treatments. See Relevant Courses below.
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Psychology (2011 – 2016). University of Fort Hare, South Africa (Nelson Mandela attended this university)
- Master’s Degree in Psychology (2001 – 2002): Rhodes University, SA
- Honors Degree in Psychology (1994 – 1995): Rhodes University, SA
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree (1987 – 1992): Rhodes University, SA
Other relevant courses and seminars:
- Play therapy and training
- Executive Coaching skills
- Integrative Problem-Centered therapy (short-term problem resolution)
- Trauma Debriefing and Counselling
- HIV/AIDS pre and post-test counselling
- Mentor in mother-to-child transmission (HIV/AIDS) counselling
- Transactional Analysis
- Sand play (children and adults)
- Narrative therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Family systems therapy
- Divorce mediation
- Marriage counselling
- Assertiveness training
- Divorce recovery (adults and children)
- Narrative therapy
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Jungian dream analysis
- 2002 – 2017: Private psychological practice, South Africa
- 2002 – 2003: Acting Director of Psychological Clinic attached to Rhodes University, South Africa, serving the city residents with psychological services. Part time lecturer in psychology.
- 2001 - 2002 – Master’s in Psychology internship in psychiatric ward of government hospital, local junior school and practical experience at psychology Clinic.
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
- Board of Healthcare Funders (BHF)