It is based on an assumption that a person can improve their health and quality of life by active involvement in occupations which they can find important and sensible. Occupational therapy understands such activities and occupations as both a means and an aim. If such an acitvity or occupation supports physical and mental function at the same time, it also helps to recover functional abilities.
Occupational therapy is a treatment method that is basically focused on disabled persons. It helps those people to use practically the acquired or re-acquired functions for activities, work, entertainment and self-sufficiency. It is focused on the development of diverse skills, such as gross and fine motor skills, coordination, cognition, sensitivity, endurance and performance of brain functions and also psychical, emotional and social skills.
As a means of therapy, ergotherapy uses specific methods, techniques and consultancy or adjustment of environment in order to practise particular skills. The primary target of ergotherapy is gaining maximum possible self-sufficiency, active involvement in life and life improvement.
Goals of occupational therapy
- to support health and mental well-being of a client by sensible activity
- to help develop skills that contribute to development of self-sufficiency, work tasks and free time activities
- to enable a client to fulfill their social role
- to help increase involvement of a client in society
- to support a client to keep, maintain, regain or gain competencies necessary for the planning and realization of their everyday tasks in interaction with the environment (successfully managing demands of social and physical environment)
Means of occupational therapy
- diagnostic – finding a handicap or disability and assessment of remaining work potential
- therapeutic – together with a patient, to set goals of therapeutic plan leading to improvement or maintaining self-sufficiency, work activities or free-time activities
- preventive – to contribute to prevention of a handicap by a targeted therapeutic plan and selection of proper methods and techniques.